26.8.07

The book that gave me hope


Craft Inc. is a new book by Meg Mateo Ilasco. Done with such wisdom and creativity, this book is a must read for anyone who has a desire to take there hobby or craft to the next level. I read this book in one day the whole way through. I couldn't put it down. I was very surprised at the amount of information given is such a easy to read and understand way, unlike other books of the same topic that I've read.

I marked a few passages from the book that I want to reference to in the future but I would like to share one or two here as well.

"Understandably, choosing one craft at a time may be difficult. Once your creative moxie kicks in, Suddenly every art form becomes a fertile area of exploration. Creative folks tend to run themselves ragged dipping there hands into every pot acting on every whim the instant it pops into there heads. Their enthusiasm for starting new projects usually far outstrip their time or budget to do them. "

(This quote is what made me wanna keep on reading. I thought to myself, "wholy cow that is exactly how I am !")

Another great piece of advice that I'll always remember from the book is when Meg discusses how the first two years of your business, you will likely not make a profit and whatever little money you do make should go right back into the business. "Even though your the owner, your often the last person to get paid."

That statement put things into prospective for me. I guess I always thought that since I as creating the work that I should get the profit and keep it all to myself. When in fact that's not the case at all. I realized that it's ok to take that money from that purse you sold and buy an ad on a blog or buy more business cards, because in the end its all going to pay off. And that's the best paycheck of all. ♥

1 comment:

SilverMonk Design said...

thanks for sharing the book! it really rings a bell.
And i love your blog and the information that you are sharing.