26.8.07

Do Your Part

I came across these tips online in browsing for ways that I can do my part in the Earth Crisis.

1. Appliances use energy when there plugged in, even when there not on. Save over 1,000 lbs. of carbon dioxide and $256 a year.

2. Frozen food uses 10 times more energy to produce than fresh food. Eating local and organic food reduce emissions associated with transport and production of chemicals.



3. Showers account for 2/3 of all water heating costs. Shorter showers and a low flow shower head can save you 700 lbs. of carbon dioxide and $250 a year.


4. Move your heater thermostate down two degrees in the winter and up to two degrees in the summer and save 2,000 lbs. of carbon dioxide and $98 a year.

5. If we all opt for a credit card e-statement, shop and pay bills online, and eliminate junk mail, will save over 100 million trees each year.

6. Use cloth bags at the grocery store instead of paper or plastic.

7. Use refillable water bottles instead of purchasing new water bottles

8. Start you own composting system




Lead by example. I have. I started collecting boxes from work and packing materials from shippments to use for my own packing use. I have so many now that I'm going to start sending them to other people that need them.

Fun Fact that makes me sick........
"The average American family needs to plant 30 trees to offset the c02 produced by their daily energy usage" :O

onepercentforplanetearth.org is a site dedicated to businesses who donate 1% of profit to the natural environment. This is great to know and I'm glad that these sorts of people are also becoming more aware of the situation.

I hope that all that read this take the time to review what you do in your daily life that can be changed for a better planet.


1 comment:

Sara's Texture Crafts said...

Wow, it makes you cringe doesn't it - there is so much we could be doing.. A great list and I'm off to make an effort to check some of those things off. Sara x