9.9.07

Apt. Dwellers Go Green


I sometimes get frustrated when I try to find ways to make my living space more green. It seems as though all the articles I read focus on home owners. But what about us apartment dwellers huh? We can't replace our windows or install an energy efficient water heater now can we. Well, after some thought and a little research, I came up with a pretty cool list of things that are simple, cheap and won't get you evicted.

1. Make sure your windows and doors are tightly sealed. This can be done with a little caulk and some tape. It's really easy to do and you get all the supplies you need at your local hardware store.

2. Replace all your bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs. They last ten times as long and use 1/3 less power. Now that's a no brainer right?

3. Change your heater's air filter. I did't really understand why my boyfriend said we need to change the air filter but after he explained to me that it makes the system run more efficently and makes for good air quality, I said well let's do it!

4. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Anyone can do this no matter where they live. It's a matter of picking a spot in your space that's dedicated to recycling bins. I have four in my small kitchen. They stack up on top of each other to save space and each container is marked with what goes inside.

5. Change your shower head. Any no that doesn't mean less water pressure. Conventional shower heads use 2.5 gallons of water every minute! You can save 4,000 gallons of water a year using a low flow shower head. The one I have came from Home Depot and I swear it spills out water better than the old one.

6.Use greener cleaners. There are so many products out on the market today for safer cleaning. Not only is it better for the environment but better for us too! They are becoming increasingly popular at the regular grocery store as well. I prefer to buy natural cleaners that have a scent of lemon or lavender to mask the natural smell that I haven't grown accustom to yet.

Well, that's it for now. I hope all you apartment dwellers learned something new today. Now get shopping!

3 comments:

Gemheaven said...

OH glad to have found you (Via Indiblog ring)Is it ok to link to you? - I find this very interesting ( as a reusable nappy user - for my dd not me although I was too lol )
Jo
x

Barbra said...

Hi Tara,
You've been tagged! Go to my blog to check out what it means!
Barbra

funky.by.tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.