8.10.07

Small Changes

As you may or may not know, I am moving in a week. This move will tough physically and financially. We are moving into a much much smaller dwelling and paying almost $200 more monthly. So in a effort to figure out how I'm going to make this work, I have looked to some small Eco friendly things that can save us money, space and the environment.

First, I am proud to say that we are now a paper towel free home. It will save us over $100 a year. Americans send over 3,000 tons of paper towels to the landfills each year. I'm still in the market for some tea towels. I'm waiting till we get moved in to buy them.


No more sponges. I now make my own dish cloths to wash dished. This will save us another $100 a year and of course landfill space. Besides, who doesn't like homemade cloths?



I'm replacing all the bulbs in the new apartment with energy efficient bulbs, saving us around $30 a year in electric and slow global warming.

Whether the landlord likes it or not, we are caulking around all the window seals to save on energy and money.

Although, there is a dish washer in the new apartment, I still prefer to hand wash my dishes. This will save water and energy.

There are two bathrooms in the new place. Both with showers. Each shower head will be replaced with a low flow shower head to save water and energy.


No more bottled water for us! Currently our water is considered "not fit for drinking". It's well water and we live literally 10 feet from a farm where cows poop and pee in our soil. So for the last two years we have had to buy bottles water to drink. We recycled the bottles of course but it's a lot of money and the freights used to transport these products are horrible polluters.


That's all I can think of for now. Once we get moved in I'm sure there will be lots more we can do to save money as well as the planet. I will post pictures of the new place once we are settled in.

5 comments:

Gemheaven said...

Good luck with the move :D

SEO Expert said...

computer repair NYC service New york city - Computer repair in NYC, Computer repair in NY, Computer repair in New York City, Computer repair in New York, Slow computer repair NYC, Slow computer repair NY, Slow computer repair New York City, Slow Computer repair New York, Computer service in NYC, Computer service in NY, Computer service in New York City, Computer service in New York, Computer consulting Services in NYC, Computer consulting Services in NY, Computer consulting Services in New York City, Computer consulting Services in New York, Computer Networks NYC, Computer Networks NY, Computer Networks New York City, Computer Networks New York, Computer NYC, Computer NY, Computer New York City, Computer New York, Computer Viruses NYC, Computer Viruses NY, Computer Viruses New York City, Computer Viruses New York,
Computers consulting and repair in NYC, Computer consulting and repair in NY, Computer consulting and repair in New York City, Computer consulting and repair in
New York, Computer Security NYC, Computer Security NY, Computer Security New York City, Computer Security New York, Network Security NYC, Network Security NY, Network Security New York City, Network Security New York.

web design New York, web design Philadelphia - web design New York, web design Philadelphia, web design New York, web design Philadelphia, web design New York, web design Philadelphia, web design New York, web design Philadelphia, web design New York, web design Philadelphia

Web design India and web designer India - Professional web site designer. Go for Custom web site design at affordable price and
Be unique. Leading web site company in India. Seo services.

SpiderlilyClothing said...

Cool stuff. I am glad to see I am not the only who makes my own dish rags and counts the savings.
Amy

mreteveian said...

I'm thinking of replacing papertowels, too.
But then again, - when I spill something, I got to wash the towel ever so often.
Have you figured out how much more your washing machine will work due to no paper towels?
Or do you plan on washing the towels/ dish rags every night and wake up to clean and dry towels/ dish rags?
I'm really wondering, 'cause I do think I have to replace and do the washing by hand to save the money for real.
Your tips about the bulbs and the shower are ideas I'm going for in my new home, - good luck with the move!

tudorpot said...

I came here via Estsy= love your felt acorns. I thought I'd share that using a dishwasher is actually more cost/energy/water efficient than hand washing - here is a link to some evidence and futher links