4.2.08

Eco Ellen

In reading the The Green Book ( link on the side) which I hope you all went out a got already, I'm intrigued by the celebrity quotes that were gathered. I don't know, I guess I thought celebrities had better things to think about then saving the earth. But if you think about it, they have the most resources and money to actually do something big about it. Here is a quote taken from the book by Ellen Degeneres


" People don't realize how little it takes to change our world for the better. Here's something I didn't know: I thought that all the oil in our oceans was caused by tanker spills. It's not. I learned that twenty-four million out of the twenty- nine million gallons of oil that goes into North America's ocean are cause by human activity. Twenty-four million gallons! That's crazy! I usually use it by the tablespoon. What happens is we pour our cooking oil down the drain, top off our gas tanks, and hose down the grease from our cars into storm drains, then it goes into our oceans. " (end quote)

Bet you didn't know that huh. I use it by the tablespoon too and it usually goes right into my mouth. But like Ellen says, we don't realize how the dumbest things such as cleaning our cars can impact the ecosystem. I'm personally a fan of underwater sea life. So beautiful in color. It makes me sad to think that I am contributing to there extinction with out even realizing it. This post tonight is a perfect example of why I started an Eco blog. People don't know this stuff. It just doesn't cross our minds. We weren't raised to be aware of things like this. It wasn't an issue back then. I hope that all my faithful readers tell one friend about my blog, so they too can learn a little about what they can do to preserve the Earth.




1 comment:

katelynjane said...

Wow, that's an amazing picture of the ocean and grass...totally captures the feelings of being there.

Good quote too!!